This Easy One Pan Meal: Vegan Mexican Rice Skillet (gluten free!) is a great weeknight dinner side or main meal. Simply toss rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, Simply Organic Simmer Sauce and some veggies in a skillet and let simmer. Minimal chopping required!
This post is sponsored by Simply Organic. All opinions are mine alone. @SimplyOrganicFoods #OrganicMoments
Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Vegan Chickpea to provide free recipes and healthy plant-based living inspiration.
Today I’m so excited because I’m hosting my first ever giveaway on Vegan Chickpea, woot woot!
Simply Organic is giving away a bundle of their 4 Simmer Sauces to TEN winners! Will you be one of them? Scroll down to the bottom of this post to enter!
A couple week ago I shared with you my Southwest Veggie Burrito Bowls with Quinoa and Guacamole – noticing the Mexican trend here? I’ve always loved Mexican and can’t get enough of the warm, flavorful spices.
Today’s Easy One Pan Meal: Vegan Mexican Rice Skillet recipe is seriously easy. You know those nights that cooking dinner feels like a chore? Well with this, you just toss some quick cook brown rice, a can of black beans, can of diced tomatoes, can of green chiles, packet of Simply Organic Southwest Taco Simmer Sauce in a skillet, along with some veggies. The only prep required is chopping some onion, bell pepper and whatever other veggies you want to add in. After that, it’s just combine and simmer! Who else is excited about this?
The Simply Organic Simmer Sauce infuses so much flavor that I literally added no other spices to this dish. With clean organic ingredients, they’re great to have on hand for busy nights! I turned my sister on to them after I made The Best Creamy Vegan Mexican Casserole with the Classic Fajita sauce for her and her husband, and now she buys them regularly. I especially love the Classic Fajita and Southwest Taco Simmer Sauces because they are sugar free!
This recipe makes a perfect side dish or even a main meal on its own. I’m a veggie lover so tossed in some leftover steamed kale, green beans and broccoli to my rice when it was ready, and had a simple salad on the side to make this a complete meal. Oh yes, and of course some homemade guacamole on top!
Use Simply Organic to make your own #OrganicMoments, and don’t forget to enter the giveaway at the end of this post! Good luck 🙂
4 - 6 people (depending on side or main)
This recipe is a great weeknight dinner side or main meal. Simply toss rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, Simply Organic Simmer Sauce and some veggies in a skillet and let simmer. Minimal chopping required!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 small red onion, diced - about 1 1/3 cup
- 1 red bell pepper, diced - about 1 cup
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, diced (i used zucchini, squash & mushrooms)
- 1 cup quick cook brown rice
- 8-oz package of Simply Organic Simmer Sauce (I used Southwest Taco - any flavor will work!)
- 15.5-oz can black beans, drained
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
- 4-oz can fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese (can omit if you don't want cheese - it's just on top)
- sliced green onion
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 Tbsp water on medium-high heat. Add the onions and pepper. Let cook for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining mixed vegetables and cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pan except the cheese. Stir to combine, then cover and reduce heat to high simmer. Let cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir the skillet and check that the rice is cooked. (You may need an extra 5 - 10 minutes depending on how high your stove was turned up.) Reduce heat to low, sprinkle the cheese on top, cover and let sit a couple more minutes until the cheese melts.
- Top with any toppings you desire - guacamole, cilantro, green onions, vegan sour cream, etc.
Serving suggestion: This recipe makes a perfect side dish or even a main meal on its own. I'm a veggie lover so tossed in some leftover steamed kale, green beans and broccoli to my rice when it was ready, and had a simple salad on the side to make this a complete meal.
I have not tried this with regular brown rice, only the quick cook kind. If using brown rice, follow the recipe but you'll need to simmer the skillet for about 40 minutes.
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, a regular skillet will work.
SIMPLY ORGANIC GIVEAWAY!
GIVEAWAY HAS NOW ENDED.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Giveaway ends September 26, 2017 at 11pm EST. Winners will be contacted within 48 hours via email, and must reply within 48 hours of being contacted with their shipping address or else automatically forfeit the prize. Must be 18 years old to enter and live in the USA or Canada.
GOOD LUCK! 😀
Thank you BlogGiveawayDirectory.com for sharing about this giveaway on your site!