If you’re looking for a simple solution to add some flavor and ‘cheesiness’ to your dishes, look no further.
This sauce will take less than 10 minutes to throw together and you can use it right away on a pizza, nachos or pasta. If you let it sit after preparing, it will thicken and works great as a spread on crackers or a sandwich.
What I love about this is just how darn easy it is to prepare! Simply pour milk in a pan, whisk with the rest of the ingredients, and that’s it. Done. It can’t get much easier than that!
Plus, it works for any diet since it’s soy free, oil free and paleo friendly (in addition to being gluten free, dairy free and vegan, of course!).
For a nut free option, you can experiment with using rice, oat or soy milk – but I have not personally tried these variations.
just under 1 cup
Makes 2 tablespoons - 8 total servings12
Super simple spicy almond cheese - use as a spread on crackers or as a sauce in common dishes like nachos, pizzas and pastas.
10 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 cup almond milk*
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes**
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pour the milk into a sauce pan and turn heat on low.
- Once milk starts to warm, whisk in the starch.
- Add remaining ingredients, continuing to whisk until thickened. Take off the heat and transfer to a jar.
- The cheese will thicken even more as it sits, creating more of a spread than a sauce.
*For a nut free option, you can experiment with using rice, oat or soy milk - but I have not personally tried these variations.
**For less spice, use 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or omit entirely if you don’t like heat.