These little guys are deceptively delicious. I know it’s easy to have doubts about vegan paté on cucumbers… you may be thinking, “Boring!” or “Who really cares?!” But i’m telling you, YOU do! Just try it and I know you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how simple and yet delicious these little gems are.
This recipe is inspired by cuisine from the country Croatia and is shared with permission from Vegan Gastronomy, a culinary academy based in Mallorca, Spain, whose focus is on teaching students to create healthy, delicious, sustainable and economical vegan dishes. I spent four days participating in their V21: Flavors of the Mediterranean cooking course, and will write a review of it soon!
Among five plates of food we made during this particular day, this recipe came in as the favorite for at least half the class! It’s really the perfect light appetizer, especially in the summer, that you can easily make ahead. Have I convinced you to try it yet?
For those of you who care, I’ve categorized this recipe as “raw”, even though technically most sun dried tomatoes and tamari aren’t technically raw. However, many raw foodies commonly use these ingredients in their diet, so if that applies to you, then this recipe is for you too!
Sarah, Vegan Chickpea
Easy, raw summer appetizer that everyone can enjoy!
30 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped basil, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tamari or coconut aminos (for soy free)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- A few pinches of of sea salt
- 4-5 tablespoons of soaking water from the tomatoes
- your choice of crackers, cucumbers or bread
- Soak the walnuts in water - you can do this overnight or if you’re short on time, you can immerse the walnuts in hot water and let soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak the sun dried tomatoes in water for at least 15 minutes. Drain but RESERVE THE SOAKING WATER.
- Blend all the ingredients in high speed blender or food processor, adding tomato water as necessary as to obtain a smooth, paté like consistency.
- Check the taste and adjust the seasonings if you feel you need to.
- If serving on top of cucumbers or pre-spread crackers, top each cracker or cucumber with a whole small basil leaf (as pictured).
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, your costs stay the same but I receive a small commission to help support Vegan Chickpea. Thank you for your support!