serves 2 - 4 people
These soft, crispy, caramelized onions and mushrooms are the perfect pairing with veggie burgers.
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 medium onion
- 10 mushrooms, approximately - baby bellas or white
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp tamari or coconut aminos (for soy free)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cut the onion in half, and then cut each half length wise into thin long strips.
- Heat a pan on medium high heat. When warm, add sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions.
- Cook about 15 minutes, stirring a few times. Don’t overstir, you want the onions getting browned on the outside.
- Add the mushrooms, stir together with the onions then let sit for about 2 minutes.
- Add the first 2 tsp of tamari to the mixture, stir and let sit for about 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Reduce to medium low and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt, the remaining 1 tsp of tamari and garlic. then stir.
- Let the flavors combine on the stove for 2 - 5 more minutes.
- Add more salt or pepper if desired.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, your costs stay the same but I receive a small commission to help support Vegan Chickpea. Thank you for your support!