This vegan and gluten free Easy Molten Chocolate Lava Cake recipe will impress your dinner guests or special someone with their beautiful heart-shape and warm gooey center! With only 10 ingredients and 30 minutes to prep and cook, you’ll have a simple yet elegant dessert in no time. (Plus, check out the recipe notes for a sugar-free option!)
Y’all, I’m so excited to share with you that Vegan Chickpea will be hosting a series of guest posts from now through the end of the year featuring other talented bloggers who will be sharing their delicious vegan and gluten recipes they created just for Vegan Chickpea! How cool is that?!
I thought this would be a fun way to collaborate with other bloggers, bring some variety to this site and – most important of all – introduce you to other people and sites you’re bound to love and be inspired by! I hope you enjoy these guest posts and follow these lovely ladies on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Get ready for a Thanksgiving Butternut Squash Bake, Hanukkah Nacho Potato Latkes, Christmas Gingerbread Men Cookies, a Birthday Cake recipe for yours truly (coming up next month!) and more. Are you excited yet?!
Today, we’re getting started with these beautiful, mouthwatering vegan and gluten free Easy Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes! (And be sure to bookmark them for Valentine’s Day because, I mean come on, how perfect would these heart-shaped desserts be to celebrate Valentine’s Day?!)
Without further ado, I bring you Claire Ruiz from SumoChef! Take it away Claire.
If you’re wondering about how to make a delicious Molten Chocolate Lava Cake that’s both gluten-free and vegan-friendly, read on as I show you the simplest and yummy recipe you’ve got to try!
One common problem I had was finding a vegan and gluten-free meal for potlucks! While I did find ingredients that can act as a gluten-free substitute (like potato starch – check out my guide to The Best Potato Starch Substitute List Every Gluten-Free Cook Needs), it was difficult finding one for desserts! I continued searching and making sure that the things I tried out would be free from any gluten and safe for vegans to consume. And once I tried a molten chocolate lava cake, I was sold! It was rich, delightful, and I couldn’t get enough. Plus, it only takes half an hour to make.
A Gluten-Free and Vegan Easy Molten Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe!
If you’re looking for something that’s a bit healthier and dietary friendly, then you should try this molten chocolate lava cake recipe! (Sarah butting in here – also see the recipe notes for ways you can make this whole thing sugar free!) Not only is it indulgent and chocolatey, but at the perfect consistency. You won’t even believe it’s vegan and gluten-free.
This recipe makes six small lava cakes, enough for six people.
Pro Tips to Follow
Are you wondering about how to make this molten lava cake recipe even better? Then read on as I show you the pro-tips you can follow:
- Sift all your dry ingredients before you start combining them! It may take a bit of time getting all those lumps out, but with an effective flour sifter, the cakes will come out looking more delectable.
- I would recommend you consume the cakes once you serve it, as storing them in the fridge would harden the melted chocolate chips inside, losing the “molten lava” the recipe is expected to have.
- Pair this with non-dairy ice cream or nut milk for the kids; they’ll love the mix! I recommend vanilla ice cream or plain or vanilla nut milk to avoid overpowering the cake’s flavor.
- You can opt to use other cupcake molds if you aren’t a fan of the heart silicone molds. Make sure that you adjust the recipe according to the shape of the molds, though. It may take a bit of trial and error here.
And there you have it! This is one indulgent dessert you’ve got to try with your loved ones. It isn’t only sweet and a plant-based option, but you’ll love how fancy and elegant it looks during your next dinner with family or friends.
I hope that this article on how to make a gluten-free and vegan molten chocolate lava cake gave you an idea for your next dessert. So don’t wait any longer and try it out today!
If you’ve got any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences with making this cake, do share your comments below. I would love to hear what you have to think.
Claire is the founder of SumoChef, and her passion is cooking. Her unique approach to cooking is the result of her varied experiences and travel abroad. She believes that food is what actually unites people and the dining table is where we set aside our differences. SumoChef is where she finds expression of her passion and she hopes to be able to contribute to your cooking experience through this. Be sure to follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
Makes 6 small cakes
This vegan and gluten free Easy Molten Chocolate Lava Cake recipe will impress your dinner guests or special someone with their beautiful heart shape and warm gooey center! With only 10 ingredients and 30 minutes to prep and cook, you’ll have a simple yet elegant dessert in no time. (Plus, check out the recipe notes for a sugar-free option!)
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup gluten-free All Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup strawberry puree (one cup of strawberries blended with a splash of water; can also use frozen strawberries)
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1 Tbsp of liquid from a can of chickpeas (aquafaba)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- about 2/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- coconut oil for brushing
- 6 silicone cupcake molds (I used heart-shaped)
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and brush a bit of coconut oil into each heart-shaped cupcake mold.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, mixing everything well. I recommend sifting all your dry ingredients before you start combining them! It may take a bit of time getting all those lumps out, but with an effective flour sifter, the cakes will come out looking more delectable.
- Blend all the wet ingredients in a blender, until all of it is well-combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture, whisking until everything is well-incorporated.
- Pour your batter into the 6 heart-shaped cupcake molds. Fill them until about 3/4 full. In each mold, place about six chocolate chips in the middle and press them in. Pour the remaining batter and fill the molds entirely.
- Bake the cakes for 15 minutes.
- Remove all the molds from the oven, allowing it to cool for about five minutes. Once it has cooled, remove all the cakes from the molds. Top with ice cream or whipped cream if using, serve and enjoy!
I would recommend you to consume the cakes once you serve it, as storing them in the fridge would harden the melted chocolate chips inside, losing the "molten lava" the recipe is expected to have.
SUGAR FREE OPTION (Note from Sarah): While I have not tested this yet, you could try using Lily's Stevia Chocolate Chips (my favorite!) and Lakanto Monkfruit 1:1 Sugar Substitute (zero calorie + zero glycemic)