Here’s something for new vegans who are looking for new snack ideas. Vegan Polenta Chips works as a light snack or appetizer, but can also be served with a salad for a more substantial meal that your entire family will enjoy!
The chili and herbs give it a nice color, but you could experiment with other spices according to your preferences. It also goes well with a nice cold beer or vegan iced tea. So without further ado, let’s start the cookery and recreate this flavorful and filling Chili and Garlic Polenta Chips.
Vegan Polenta Chips
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, or equivalent dried
- 1 pack instant polenta (I think they’re usually 150g)
- Nutritional Yeast
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and gently cook the chili and chopped garlic until fragrant. Stir in the rosemary and remove from the heat, and pour into a bowl and set aside for later.
- Bring around 500ml of water to a boil and add the polenta pack slowly, stirring as you go. It thickens quite quickly, but be aware it can start to bubble like a volcano just before it is thick enough, and it if it splashes it hurts (trust me!), so be careful or consider taking it off the heat at that stage.
- Turn the heat down and stir in the garlic, chili and rosemary mixture, as well as the yeast. Season to taste.
- Lightly oil a dish and pour the polenta in. Wait until it cools then transfer to a fridge until set. Usually, this only takes around an hour.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, cook the sliced garlic on a medium heat until fragrant but not colored. Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, some salt, and pepper and leave to cook for about an hour on a very low heat. Stir occasionally. By the end, it should be a thick, sweet and rich tomato sauce.
- Slice the set polenta into chip-shapes, and arrange on baking parchment or a greased tray. Spray with cooking oil and bake at 180 degrees until golden, about 45 mins.
- Serve with the tomato sauce!
Looking for quick and easy recipes? Click here for more vegan meal ideas.